Monday, February 14, 2011

RAAM 2011 Training Update

The weather in New Hampshire has been a challenge for the last couple months…lots and lots of snow and plenty of cold to go along with it. I haven’t let these challenges derail me from my training schedule, although I have been riding inside more than I care to.

I have completed base training and last weekend started a new phase of training, focusing on long consecutive rides. I completed three back-to-back 12-hour training days. These triple endurance days will be the backbone of my training from now until I peak in May. As I complete each cycle, the days will get longer, when in mid April I will complete 3 consecutive 18-hour days. Then in early May, I will take a week and ride my own mini-RAAM before recovering for the main event.


This week I am off to sunny (hopefully) Florida, to race in the Sebring 24. (http://bikesebring.org/) This is always a good race to test the progress of my training, and to get a change to ride for 24-hours without risking frostbite. I am hoping to have some updates/pictures posted during the race on my Face Book page, assuming I can teach my parents, who will be crewing for me, how to use my Droid. Here is a link to the page:


http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Walker-RAAM-2011/143869265670225#!/pages/Team-Walker-RAAM-2011/143869265670225

If you’re not on Face Book, I believe you can still see my profile page you just won’t be able to comment.

Just a reminder, as part of this effort, I am raising money for two great causes, Special Olympics New Hampshire and Camp Odayin, a residential camp for children with heart disease. My goal is to raise $25,000 for these worthy causes and the race. Whatever you can give will be appreciated and will enrich the lives of these gifted athletes and kids.

You can donate by sending a tax-deductible check payable to “The Silent Sports Foundation” (EIN# 20-8971676) to my attention at 19 Franklin Rd, Salisbury, NH 03268, or click on the “Donate” link to the right of this post.

Thanks,
Brett Walker

No comments: