Sunday, February 28, 2010

"INVICTUS" -- to those unconquerable souls (2/28/2010)

From coming across William Ernest Henley (1849-1903) poem "Invictus" in its Chinese translated version when I was a teen, to watching Clint Eastwood's movie "Invictus", starring Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon, I came to a conclusion that we do live in One World, a "World of Cherishing Unconquerable Souls". Sticking to my mind, while traveling through different time and space and living in different lives, has been and will always be those words of courage, perseverance, and endurance that have inspired us all (Below text from William Ernest Henley's poem "Invitus"):
"Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul."

Amy Xu (Dorsey & Whitney, partner)
Team Strong Heart 2008 (team) and 2010 (solo)
612-991-4912

2 comments:

Brigitt Orfield said...

Wow Amy. Just read your notice as sent out by WMCL. While Scott and I, with 5 small kids, are not available to assist along your route, we are happy to make a contribution. You are amazing.

Brigitt Orfield and Scott Johnston

Team Strong Heart/Amy Xu said...

Brigitt and Scott, thank you for your donation. I really appreciate your support. amy